Saturday, December 06, 2008

Olive the Other Reindeer

Sing it with me, "Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer, had a very shiny nose, and if you ever saw it, you would even say it glows...All of the other Reindeer, used to laugh and call him names, they never let poor Rudolph, join in any reindeer games"- it just makes you smile doesn't it?! I love this song and I love the book I am sharing on Jennifer's "literacy thursday" blog. The book is Olive the Other Reindeer and is written by J. Otto Seibold and Vivian Walsh. We just happened to buy the deluxe version which includes flaps to lift, scratch and sniff and a POP UP grand finale!!

All of my kids love this sweet story about a dog who didn't hear the words correctly to the famous song mentioned at the beginning of the blog. What Olive hears is, "Olive the Other Reindeer, " and becomes confused since she thought she was a dog. When she discovers that she is really a reindeer, she heads to the North Pole to report for duty and quickly makes friends with Comet, the biggest reindeer. Olive was tied tight to the sleigh, but the other reindeers were so amazed at Olive that they weren't watching where they were going and CRASHED! Of course, they got back on track and continued to have mishaps along the way.The end of the story is so sweet. After all the presents are delivered, Santa needs help getting out of the dreadful fog at the North Pole to make it home in time for breakfast (Ms. Claus is cooking and it smells great) so he calls Olive to the front of the sleigh and uses Olive's great sense of (dog) smell to get them right home in time! Once they get back to the North Pole, they open presents and just guess what Olive receives??? His own pair of REINDEER ANTLERS! But the best part...after all the presents were opened, they all went out to play reindeer games! Yeah!!Our book has a fantastic pop up at the end and my children love to get to that page! Look for the "deluxe" version if you want all the extras (pop up, scratch and sniff, etc.).

I suggest this book for all ages. It was introduced to me last year by Emma's first grade teacher, Mandy Casey at Campbell Elementary. Ms. Casey is a favorite of Emma's and one of mine, too!! It will be enjoyed for many years to come...I am certain of that!

I purchased mine at Barnes and Noble, but I have seen it at Target and I am sure it can be found almost anywhere books are sold. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post and I just bought this book, but we haven't read it yet. I think I'll pull it out for abedtime story tonight!

Claire said...

Hi Mommy,I'm so glad i got back from camp!U know why...i got 2 see you!!I love you Mom!Great blog!

-Bailey