Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The Gingerbread house "GLUE" works!!


It worked beautifully!! Yeah!

If you follow my blog, you know that I wrote recently about finding the recipe for gingerbread house "glue". Many friends like Stacy have commented about how their gingerbread houses had collapsed and we experience this same event every year. Last year, we tried a hot glue gun and shipping tape (we almost whipped out the duct tape too!). Neither of these worked...so I was off to find the perfect "glue" for this year. I found a "glue" recipe recently and we tried it out tonight (1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup light corn syrup and 1 cup water- boil for approx. 30 minutes).

Here's what it looked like when we got started. The glue is thick and hot...
We used dark corn syrup because it was all we could find- I am guessing if you use the light, your "glue" would be a lighter color. This house isn't falling apart EVER! Bailey even asked me how we were going to get it off the plate!!I would say that you need two adults to do this since one must hold the sides and the other needs to "pour" the glue. As you can tell from the pictures, the dark glue was covered up eventually by the icing and candy. Ashley and I pulled it off tonight- so it can be done! And it wasn't even that hard!!

Ashley also made the usuals with the girls and Jackson tonight- they made "puppy chow" and "peanut butter chews" and we had a ball having her over. We all love Ashley and consider her a part of our family so anytime we can get our hands on her, we do!! Here are some more shots of the fun we had tonight with Ashley.

3 comments:

Swan Family said...

Love it. We've never made a gingerbread house, but when we do I will use your "glue" first. Did you get my phone message yesterday?
Happy Christmas Eve!

The Richards Family said...

Awesome. I am glad it worked.. I have a Gingerbread house that is waiting to be done. Maybe tomorrow night. I will try your glue recipe..
And puppychow, I am going to look that up, it sounds YUMMY!

Unknown said...

So glad it worked and Y'all had fun re-uniting with Ashley. Hope you have a magical evening and tomorrow morning!