Saturday, December 13, 2008

Christmas at Shady Oak

Jackson had his Christmas program this morning at Shady Oak Christian School. He has finally figured out exactly what is going to happen at these programs so he told me this morning that he didn't want to go. He told me he didn't want to wear what I had picked out for him and he didn't want to sing. I told him I would be devasted if he didn't sing for me and I also told him that his teacher told me that he was the "best" singer she had in the class. He said, "really?" and of course, I said, "YES!". It worked like a charm. He went right up there and sang all the usuals- but my favorite was "This little light of mine". He blew out his candle (his finger) each time and I just wanted to melt. Have I ever said that I am crazy about that boy?!This is the last program we will see for a few years and I am so sad. Jackson will be starting Kindergarten at Campbell next year and you have to be 3 and potty trained to go to Shady Oak. It will be a couple of years before Teague can attend and I'll miss this little school. It is a great school that definitely preserves the childhood in children- they love the academics but they love the "play" too. It reminds me of a place I would have went to growing up. There is nothing "worldly" at this place- no princesses, no Toy Story characters, no expensive play structures- just old school things like bubbles, music, dancing, running around, pretending to be pirates, legos, dump trucks and sand. It just goes to show that children need very little to be entertained. I recommend this school to everyone- it's a great place! (If you are really interested, you need to be prepared to wake up early the morning of registration since there are more potential students than spots available. Two years ago, a Dad camped out the night before so that his daughter got a spot! It takes some dedication, but worth it!)

1 comment:

Swan Family said...

I totally agree with you! We love Shady Oak and Ande is really doing well. It was so good to see you Saturday!!!