Tuesday, December 23, 2008

I am THAT mom

I seriously never thought I would let my kids drink sodas, play outside without me standing over them watching their every move, go to bed without brushing their teeth (for days) or choose clothes from a stack of clean clothes rather than out of the closet or the drawers they have in their room. I also never thought I would let them go to school without a jacket on a cold morning or wear shoes that are too small (Emma went to Disneyworld with tennis shoes two sizes too small- I didn't know it until we got back home and when she complained at Disney I just thought she was complaining) and I certainly never thought my children would have the opportunity to write on the walls like I've seen in other people's homes. I can remember vividly being in someone else's home and seeing coloring on the walls. I never understood how that could happen and if it did, why they wouldn't fix it and make it right (erase it, scrub it or good gravy- paint over it?)!! I am fully aware that I am not going to win the "mother of the year award for 2008". I realized this this week when I caught Teague on more than one occasion playing with a ballpoint pen and a marker (it wasn't permanent). The evidence was there...it was all over his legs! I also found it all over some important documents that were laying on the counter in the kitchen and even on my kitchen floor. I looked at it and realized that I am "that" mom!! I am not able to watch everything they do ALL the time or keep pens/markers out of reach at all times. It's going to happen- that's what I told myself when I saw the marker on the tile floors. I don't even think I raised my voice. Then, I started remembering all the other places in the house that had been marked up by Teague over the last few months. I grabbed the camera and took pictures of them and then realized again- I HAVEN"T EVEN TAKEN CARE OF THIS! I HAVEN'T EVEN ATTEMPTED TO CLEAN THIS MESS!

One thing I DO know is, I am a great mom. I do a good job 99% of the time and try really hard 100% of the time. Here's the evidence that I have collected all over the house. I do this so that I can show Teague how he was THE child that colored on my walls and all over my important documents. He is still loved as are all of my other children- and it's OK to be THAT mom and that child! To all the other moms that never cleaned up a marker mess or let their kids go to bed without brushing their teeth- I have joined the club and am proud of it!This is in the laundry room. I think it is a purple crayon. That's my warranty card for the Britax carseat. It should have been mailed several months ago, but will finally make it to the mailbox this week with marks all over it. I am sure it won't be the first time they have seen a card come back like that. Right?This is in the hallway going to Bailey and Emma's room. I think it's pencil. The green marker day. I am also aware that he is not wearing clothes and if you look clearly he is standing on the kitchen table- of course, I planned this. I just knew he would color with the marker so I left them off...yeah right. Anyway, another tally mark for my inefficiency. And for the record, this is still there. I am waiting for Maria Elena to get it tomorrow when she comes- I think he even added a little bit to my rug in the family room this morning and the floor next to the rug. I didn't get those pictures and yes, I finally took the marker away. They are put up...for now.

BTW-Who needs a confessional when you have a blog?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

COngratulations. I am sure I will join the club sooner rather than later!

Swan Family said...

Claire,
I totally understand where you are on this post. Sometimes I go crazy!!!! Love the kids "artwork." lol

Karen said...

I had to laugh and laugh and laugh at this one, Claire!! First of all, you are NOT "that" mom... I'm betting all the marks are already gone; but, the funniest is your last statement about using the blog as a confessional... that's great! Then of course, the pictures of those sweet little legs with marks on them.. how cute is that??!!?? And how can you really get mad at that??!! Teaguer Toot is definitely an appropriate nickname.