Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Gingerbread House "glue" recipe

Every year we make a gingerbread house and it falls apart- just like Stacy's did this week! Well, not every year because it is too frustrating! Anyway, I have been on the lookout for the best way to keep the sides of the house together and I found this recipe as I was reading a magazine last week during Jackson's gymnastics time. We have plans to make ours on the 19th with Ashley (she's coming home from college) so the recipe came to me at the perfect time. I am sure there are others that need this so here it is:

Caramel "Glue"
Makes 1 1/2 cups-


1 cup sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup

In a saucepan, bring sugar, corn syrup and 1 cup water to a boil. Brush insides of pan with a wet pastry brush to remove any sugar crystals. Boil until caramel is golden and temperature reads 300" on a candy thermometer, about 30 min.

Remove from heat and pour into a large skillet for dipping. Dip edges of house in caramel and assemble. Reheat gently in skillet if necessary.

Ok, this is definitely for the eager (and serious) Gingerbread house guru- but I must say I will try it since I have tried all kinds of things including a hot glue gun!! I hope this helps and if you try it and it works, please let me know! At the bottom of my recipe is a website: www.lhj.com so this i
s the source!!
Here are the kids making there's last year with Ashley! We miss her!

1 comment:

gam123 said...

that house is great i dont know if you have tried egg whites and powderd sugar for glue works great for my preschool class