Monday, March 30, 2009

U-G-L-Y

When Bailey was just born I swore off "character" clothes. I thought they were ugly. No princess t-shirts, no winnie the pooh dresses and certainly no blinking- light up tennis shoes. No Barbie jeans or Hello Kitty sandals. Super ugly.

Jerrod and I always joke that we used to be so strict with what the kids wore and what they watched on TV, movies they watched and even the music they listened to on the radio. Well, times have really changed. We have so much going on that it makes it hard to "control" everything and of course, the friends at school and the TV are influences.

One show that we really despised was Sponge Bob Square Pants. It really has a lot of adult humor and it can be down right crude.

I don't know what it is, but my kids LOVE Sponge Bob and I must say that he is growing on me and Jerrod. Maybe it's because that is one of the few words Teague actually says that we understand (heck, he sings the theme song)...bum bob, bum bob! It is so dog gone cute. On the way to church yesterday we couldn't believe the song we were listening to on the Sponge Bob DVD:
"Idiot Friends"

Who's there for you when you are sad and down? (Me!)
Idiot friends
Who picks you up and slaps you all around?
Idiot friends
Who puts thorns in you so you can save the town?
Idiot friends, idiot friends, idiot friends

Duh duh duh, doo-duh doop do do
Da dee da da do dada da
Dee da da doo-doo-doo, duh-do

(You know SpongeBuck, all we've been a'doing is singing about what I've done for you. Well, what have you done for me?)

Who helps you pick your pants up off the ground?
(Thanks buddy!)
(Curses!)
(Only an idiot friend would do that!)
(Let's bring it home, idiot friend!)
(Okay!)

Who'll let you ride on his coffin?
Who slaps you hard and often?
What do you and me have in common?
We're idiot friends

It grows on you, I promise! And if you have enjoyed the song before and know what I am talking about- you have got to be laughing right now...

Anyway, the funniest part is that I have officially found the ugliest shoes on the planet. They go with nothing and are stinkin' yellow!! They are so bad that I think when Teague sees this picture someday- he will be amazed that I let him wear them. I think you will agree.

And for the record, my girls and boys had all of the above. Jackson has so many character t shirts right now that he could wear one everyday for two weeks and never repeat.

3 comments:

Karen said...

I remember you swearing off character clothes -- now you're just swearing to a beat!! (just kidding!). By the way, meant to say that I hope Jackson doesn't bite off that tongue running, but I know it helps when you're concentrating and working so hard. Also--coach seems to be all decked out himself, making up for the lack of uniforms in his younger days??!!

Falcone Family said...

I am with you! I have sworn off character clothes, that is, until High School Musical came into Isabela's life. however, for now, we ahve it contained to her Build-a-Bear's outfit and her own jammies. Honestly, I dread the day she wants to sport a character out in public, but I will have to let her be and enjoy it.
Glad to hear I was not alone!

The Richards Family said...

You make me laugh. We have those shoes, but in blue.. My kids lOVE them.. Happy Kids equal a Happy Mother.