Sunday, March 22, 2009

Playa Del Carmen

Jerrod and I had the opportunity to go somewhere, anywhere during spring break. My in laws came in town and my MIL said that if we wanted to go somewhere, she would stay with the kids. She didn't have to say that twice...we made our reservations quick (before she changed her mind!). We chose Playa Del Carmen because a friend of mine just got back and quite frankly, I just happened to talk to her and she mentioned it was a great place to go!! We stayed at El Dorado Maroma resorts and had a great visit. We did a lot of laying around, sleeping on the beach, listening to our iPod while basking in the sun, reading books and did I mention relaxing? We came back so rested and energized...a vacation like this can be addicting!! Here's a photo of the pool.Here's the beach looking out from the hotel. Another view of the palapa's (outdoor beds- behind the palm trees) and this is where we hung out the most!Another view of the hotel from the beach.
We set up the camera (yes, we are dorks) and took a picture of ourselves before dinner. This was right after the time share agent told us "we were going to get mad at her for saying this, but we were stupid" for not joining the time share club. We shrugged our shoulders and headed out to enjoy our dinner with a smile on our face. Some people!! These huts in the picture below housed massage beds for a "sky massage" under the stars. This sounds totally wonderful until you decide how you are going to get on the table without your robe and there is a couple having a nice romantic meal just a few yards away. Can you say, awkward? We decided that we wouldn't see them ever again so each of us got on our table as quick as could. It was relaxing the first few minutes. Then we started to hear the couple we passed on the way in talking and having a good time. Shortly after that my masseuse actually "passed gas" loudly and it was ALL over for me. I had the hardest time NOT laughing. I had to just concentrate on something else...like the dingo's that started barking and the "cupid shuffle" playing at the party next door
(ya know, the song- to the left, to the left, now kick, now kick, now c'mon baby kick, now walking by yourself...) and the macharena, too. Yes, I am serious. It was a night of comedy of errors and we laughed and laughed somemore when the massage was over! I told Jerrod that was my last massage at the resort- we had another scheduled the last day and I cancelled it promptly the next morning!
To make myself feel better, this is what I did the next day...ALL day! So relaxing! We went shopping in downtown Playa the day it was overcast. There were TONS of shops to explore and we found a few nifty items for the kids.


The last day I decided that I wanted to parasail. I didn't even think about what COULD happen to me until I was already on the boat heading out!! It was so easy and just beautiful!
This vacation will be hard to beat. No ones bread to butter, no ones meat to cut or clothes to fold. I can't remember the last time I didn't have something pressing or a kid about to wake up or a day where nothing mattered. This was a vacation where definitely "nothing mattered"!! Thank you Karen and Donnie for allowing this to happen for us...we owe you big time!

3 comments:

Swan Family said...

We had a great time when we went to Playa Del Carmen too! Our friends got married there and I believe they stayed at the same resort you did for their honeymoon. They loved it also. Your vacation looks so relaxing...I'm glad you were able to get away!

Unknown said...

Looks like fun and I say schedule one at least every other year! It's good for you AND your husband!

Cancun Mexico said...

Hi, Congratulations for your beautiful family and great choice for holidays: Playa del Carmen is the best.