Wednesday, May 13, 2009

We don't live in a barn, I promise!

Jerrod and I were so excited today to head to Fredericksburg to see the house we are buying. We were meeting the inspector there to go over a few items and to look at the house one last time before our option period is up on the 18th of May.

Everything looked great. The inspector had nothing but good things to say about the house and he and our realtor acted like they knew the house like an old friend. One said, "oh, I remember this house when...". The other would say, "yeah, when so and so lived here, two families back...". It was so cool to hear them talk and the way small city life actually is. They all knew the same people and reminisced about the neighborhood and things that have happened over the years....so cool. The best part? The inspector has a teenage daughter and she wants to babysit!! He said he would hook us up with her while we are in town and if she couldn't do it, he knew some of her friends would like to do it. First class folks...

All while we were discussing important things about the house and of course, babysitters, Jackson and Teague were running crazy around outside and when we went inside...they ran crazy there too! They definitely felt the need to let go of some energy after sitting in the car for several hours!! We were discussing the brick on the home when the inspector stopped to pay attention to Teague. He was standing clear across the yard but there was no denying what he was making in his diaper. Our inspector said, "You never forget a face like that!". We all chuckled.

Then, Jackson was showing me some things around the outside of the house and he took me over by the air conditioning unit. He pointed to a spot of water on the ground next to it and said, "that's where I peed". I couldn't believe my ears so I said, "What?! They have a potty inside that you can use". He looked up to me with those sad eyes and told me that he didn't know that he could use it. I went straight over the group of guys as they were discussing all the important things and asked , "Did any of you see him take a whiz by the A/C unit??" I wanted to make sure that they didn't see it and then NOT say anything to me!! I was glad they didn't see it, but also felt quite sure that they thought we lived in a barn in Houston, Texas.

After that, I was off to buy diapers for the little one and I pulled up to the convenience store in Jerrod's truck. I guess that truck is really nice, because you would have thought I drove up and got out of the truck totally nude (ok, they would have been laughing!). The men (yes, business men) were all having lunch at these little tables right inside the door and just ooohing and ahhhhing as they stared at the truck. One even approached me as I was leaving to ask me if I liked my truck and what the gas mileage was like. So funny.

It gets better. As we were leaving town, we stopped to have the utilities transferred into our name after closing. I had all kinds of questions for the "clerks" like: do the trash collectors offer back door service or is it curb service? (She looked at me like I was an alien), What is the price per kWh for electricity in Fredericksburg? (She went to consult the city manager to get the answer and came back to look at me like I was mental) and other goofy questions like that.

After I amazed her with my questions, she proceeded to collect my deposit and filled out all my personal information for the city...on a form where she had to "press hard" so that the information would show clearly to the bottom layer. And guess what, she gave ME a $20 discount for signing up to have my bill paid with "autodraft". Really? I love this place already.

I am leaving my lifestyle in Sugar Land when I go to visit...I am going to live the "real life". I am going to take it easy and enjoy life like these folks. Awesome.

I don't know why, but I feel like I need to make sure everyone reading this blog (it is public knowledge) knows how I really feel about the city of Fredericksburg, TX. For some reason, I posted this and I feel like I am gossiping about a best friend or something. I absolutely love the city, I love everyone that I have met and the experiences I have had there- nothing but wonderful. The city is truly a "dream" of mine and I wish I was raised in a city such as this and could live there permanently. I love the fact that they still use "triplicates" to fill out their city info and how it all works...be certain- I hope to be conversing with people in town and discussing the goings on just like the inspector and our realtor did someday...it's a wonderful thing. I highly recommend Fredericksburg if you ever need to get back "home" the way it "used" to be.

No comments: