Thursday, January 08, 2009

Discovering new THINGS

Yesterday I decided that I didn't want Jackson to bring his Nintendo DS in the car on the way to school and I didn't want him to watch a movie. When he asked me why, I said "Because I want to talk to you". He looked confused, but when we got in the car he asked me what we were going to talk about. I told him that I just wanted to talk to him on the way to school and notice everything outside on the roads and streets. He has quite a drive to school so I knew he could find some new "things" he hadn't noticed before. Well, he did. He pointed out all kinds of things!! Specifically, he noticed that there was a farm on the corner of 59 South and FM 762. He pointed out the barn and the trucks and the farm animals. He was shocked!! So I said, "This is why I didn't want you to play your games or watch a movie. You have been going to this school for 2 years now and you never knew there was a farm on the road to your school". That's when he said, "Oh, now I get it". Perfect.

When I picked him up it got better. He told me he had a great day at school, but the DVD was going because Teague was screaming on the way and I gave in to him. The boys slipped right into watching Toy Story as we were driving home. Out of the blue Jackson said, "Mawma, I know how to spell a new word". His school is excellent so I am thinking "AWESOME!!". He has really been getting into letters and the sounds that they make (along with the fact that I have been feeling guilty that I haven't been spending time working on emergent reading since it is something that I think he would enjoy) so I am feeling great about this new word. Really great. He asked me if I wanted to know what it was and the anticipation was killing me. I mean, Jackson is 4, but this is going to be a perfect opportunity to add to his baby book. His first word to spell- other than his name. So, he shares the word with me.


Jail. Then he spells J-A-I-L. Yes, jail.

Well, he got it right, but immediately I started thinking about how he would have learned this word!! In our house, no one has ever gone to jail. No one in the immediate family has ever gone to jail. Heck, words like stupid, hate, and others are considered bad words in our house so you can imagine my despair!! What??!! Jail??! I start questioning him how he knows that word imagining the worst. Then he calms me by saying, "It's written on the box that Andy plays with in his room with Rex and Woody. He puts them in jail." All of the sudden, I felt such relief!! I told Bailey and Emma about it when they got home and we all had a laugh.

Yes, j-a-i-l is the word my sweet son is so proud of. I am proud of him and I can't wait to tell him this funny story when he gets older. He will also find it in his baby book right next to all his other accomplishments.

What a great day of discoveries- Jacksons and MINE!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is too funny!