Thursday, November 27, 2008

The Simple Things in Life....are SWEET!

As I am sure it was the same for you, Thanksgiving day brought back a lot of memories (I think it's the time of year, too) and reminders about all that we have in this life- we are very blessed. As the day went by, I paid close attention to the happenings around me and took note of the all that I have to be thankful for.

Here's my list:
1. My husband rocks. He is a caring and loving husband that tries very hard to make our family happy and works extra hard to make me feel special. It's the little things. Like the other day, he went with a friend to a shop on Harwin (a totally cheesy, cheap and sometimes "hot" shopping area in Houston) and he brought me back this totally cool (and very fake) Chanel watch. He didn't know if I would like it, but he bought it anyway- turns out it is just perfect with a ceramic band and diamonds galore. Yes- bling, bling! I am thrilled it is fake and I will have a ball wearing it this season, but I am especially happy that he thought about me that day. Thanks, Jerrod! You rock.
2. Fun times at home. It's awesome when you sit back and see the simplicities of life through your child. It really is so simple for them- I should take notes more often and enjoy this wonderful life that I have. Some of the things I noticed: wagon rides can make anyone smile and hair fly, "raspberries" are neat when you finally notice what's really going on, the floor makes a great play ground when you spread your furniture out, and laundry baskets have more than one purpose and scoot nicely on tile floors. I also learned to "accept" the tree as it is...decorated by my children. They are proud of their tree and so am I!3. New family. Lainey Katherine is five months old ALREADY and cute as a button. Check her out- and our Olivia Claire will be here soon. My SIL, Carey, looks like she is about to POP and I just love it! Super cute. What a blessing they are!
4. Our children's determination. Each one of them is determined to do something- even when we tell them it doesn't work that way or they can't do it. It's just what children do- push the limits so they can see for themselves. As much as it aggravates us (and it does!), it is their drive that we should admire. With such minor offenses, we should really sit back and look at things less seriously. For instance, Jackson was determined to open up every one's soda cans and determined to take his Iron Man ornament off the tree so that he can play with it (Santa, please?). Emma and Bailey were determined to get their wish list together so that Santa will know what to bring them...even if it is all while we are trying to get out the door to see family. Teague was determined to get into every chair he could find yesterday. He made everyone around him CRAZY (really) as I tried to keep him off the TABLE tops. Chairs?!! Seriously? Oh, and a walker that belongs to Lainey- he tried that too. Soda cans, ornaments, wish lists at the worst time, and chairs- now, really...if it could only stay this minor, we would be set!5. My family- immediate and extended. I am thankful for each of them! What can I say?
6. Most importantly-Our Lord and Savior. How awesome is it that He died for me and you? Oh, and the right to worship Him in this wonderful country that we live in?! Pretty awesome. I am thankful that I have found Him and our family is able to have a relationship with Him. As the Christmas season approaches, I hope I see very few "X MAS" signs and my children know and understand the reason for the season. They will see "gifts" no doubt, but I hope they will remember the meaning behind the gifts this season and see the "real" GIFT they have received. That's my prayer- and Teague helped me say it!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love #2. That's how I remember it in our family of four. Great closing too. Look forward to celebrating the season with you and your family!