Sunday, September 20, 2009

WANTED: friends

I had the privilege of going on an overnight "women's retreat" on Friday night with a group of great ladies. There is a new church in Sugar Land and a few of my friends are members. They invited me to go on the overnight event and I jumped at the chance to hang with girls and study the word of God. I'll never miss that! We went to a very large ranch in Somerville, TX. It was more like a resort of sorts and it belonged to a very blessed family. It was so nice and everything was so LARGE. Word is, this was Lance Berkman's ranch that he recently sold to this family. We all decided that was why everything was so tall, large, etc. It took a small ladder to get into the bar stools that lined the bar area in the "gathering" room and it was just that- a perfect place to gather! We spent the night learning about what God's word says about friends and friendships. He designed us to be relational beings with every intention for us to spend time with "friends". We focused our study on Ecclesiastes 4: 9-10

Two are better than one...for if one falls the other can pick up his companion.

I learned that Jesus spent 1/3 of his time with his "close, intimate friends" and then spent the rest of his time with "friends" that he associated with and worshiped with but weren't in his inner circle. He spent 2/3 rd's of his time with acquaintances- ministering to them- but he still referred to them as friends. Amazing!!

I also learned this evening that I am not the only person that has had difficulties with friendships. It was refreshing to hear...we are hard on ourselves. As women, relationships are a challenge and can be difficult to manage especially with a family with children! Something so fun shouldn't be so had!!
We studied His word and found these truths:

We were created for friendship- he didn't want us to be alone. Genesis 2:11

Jesus had good friends.

God knew we would need a friend. Ecclesiastes 4: 9-10

Our salvation must be worked out. Philippians 2:12-13

Relationships show us our need for the Father. Romans 15:5-6
We applied these truths to our lives and discovered that we all have choices in friends- and they are just that, choices. Just like we tell our children, we too must make good choices in friends. It's no different for us. I learned so much about these choices! The community I live in is absolutely wonderful. I am blessed with many friends- some close and some are acquaintances. Either way...I need friends.

WANTED: Friends
Must be willing to deal with a mother of 4 precious children and a wife to a very busy husband (both pretty much run my life). Must be able to deal with dropped plans, cancelled play dates and the occasional late arrival. Must be willing to deal with a woman that is totally normal- up one day and down the next, organized one day and totally a mess the next, a meticulous cleaner one week and a total pig the next- and be willing to lift me up when I am down. Must understand that I am not perfect or claim to be anywhere close to it. Must be able to be honest with me and have my best interest at heart. Must love the Lord. Must be willing to pray for me, to have great discernment for me, to stick by me and to challenge me to live a Godly life.

I hope you want the same for yourself and if so- you have a friend in me.

1 comment:

Designed with Purpose said...

Claire,

I love this post. I love that you wrote down what we learned...I had already forgotten some of it!

You have a friend in me girlfriend! Yeah!