Saturday, August 22, 2009

"Teague is 2"

Teague's birthday party was a work in progress. There was some planning done, but not nearly enough. I decided on the theme and ordered some items so that they could play (if they wanted) and ordered some super cute birthday invitations from Polka Dot Designs. This is the invitation (poor copy) and then, this is what I had them say:
All Aboard!
Chugga Chugga Choo Choo
Jump on the tracks
Our Teague is two!

He's discovered trains
and all they do
So we're building his first
and we need YOU!

August 22, 2009
Arrival time: 5:00 p.m.
Meet at Smith Station

Come ready to play, eat
and have some fun!

Reserve your ticket:
832-735-2128 or
ourfoursmiths@att.net

We spent the week before his birthday in Fredericksburg and the invitations were delivered to Sugar Land so I actually never got them mailed to anyone. A definite first for me. They were so cute and I was bummed, but we all survived my lack of organization. A few days before the party, I got on my bike and delivered a few and then called on my trusty friends to bring their children over to have some fun. They were so nice to show up to sing the birthday song to Teague! I know now who I can count on!!
Here's the cake that I worked on for several hours. I think it turned out well and I really think the kids liked it- of course, Teague couldn't care less....he just wanted to eat all the little candy loaded on each box car! Teague is loving his new train set and can play with it for endless hours.
When everyone started to sing, Teague just stared at everyone and didn't know what to think. He started telling us, "I two, I two..." with all 5 fingers. Then, his big sisters taught him how to blow out candles. What fun that was!
The older kids pegged their train car and went to town eating them. The more candy, the better! But like I said, Teague liked the cake and all, but he LOVED these train cookies I picked up from Maureen's Bakery on Hwy. 6 in Sugar Land. She did a great job decorating them and they were delicious....they were ALL gone before the party was over. As the older kids went back to swimming, we noticed Teague climbing from chair to chair at the table outside. He was going around and eating all the candy left on the train cars from the older kids. He was full, full, full of sugar!! Busted!! We made a train for Teague....
and cousin Cassie pushed him around on the driveway. After we swam and played games Teague got to tear into his presents. His sisters helped him get started, but that was all it took. He became a pro within minutes!! What is it that this birthday boy taught me this year??
1. That things work out perfectly even if things aren't perfect.
2. Little ones really don't care about the presents or the cake but do care about being recognized.
3. Adults really aren't that impressed by all you do at home to make the party, it's the celebration they care about.
4. I can count on my friends and family for anything!
5. God really knows what he is doing...he gave me a perfect little boy that I chose to name Teague.
6. I am blessed, blessed and blessed beyond belief.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great posting about a sweet boy. Love the thoughts at the end. Kendrick also goes around saying 2 and holding up one finger even if no one asks him how old he is. GOtta love this age!

Karen said...

I LOVE that last picture of Teague with that big smile and his birthday hat. And I also love your message - it was great.