Thursday, August 06, 2009

TCHS Class of 1988 Reunion

Hurricane Ike blew through Galveston in September of last year all while our 20 year reunion was being planned. Because of the damage sustained to Galveston, it had to be cancelled. Some of our classmates were even homeless afterwards so we felt that it was only appropriate to cancel the event. We had a small "reunion" at a local bar owned by a classmate, but always intented to hold a larger reunion in 2009. Most of what we heard after the cancellation was - next year "hold it in the summer, make the cost low, make it fun", etc. After listening to all of the suggestions, my BFF from HS, Jennifer, spear headed the event for this year (even financially!) and got the event together SOLO.


Jennifer did a great job and I was most impressed with all of her decisions. It was held at the Moody Gardens Hotel and Resort on Galveston Island. Friday night's event was held in the bar in the lobby (I didn't make that...I was still in Fredericksburg) and the second night was held in one of the ballrooms off the lobby. I may be crazy, but......this is summer time, great food and great set up!

Well, our reunion was last weekend and it has taken me this long to post about the event. I was so disappointed...and I just don't know what to think or even say.



Unfortunately, our classmates decided they were "busy" or lost "interest" after last year's reunion got cancelled. Our class was mid-sized with approximately 330 students graduating that year. We had a whopping 18 classmates show up for the reunion. Of course, some had their spouses and others came by themselves, but we had a total of 40 people at the reunion. We barely got 5% but math isn't my strongest subject so someone else may be able to be more specific on our percentages of classmates. Whatever it is, I think its pitiful. Don't get me wrong, I had a great time seeing the friends that I hadn't seen in a long time. We tried to make it fun by requesting songs we danced to in the 80's and even turned our name tags upside down for excitement- I know, a stretch.


These last few years I've become sentimental. I think a lot of these friends, because I "grew up" with these people. Back then, we all went to Kindergarten, MS and HS together and rarely anyone moved off. Most of our parents worked at the plants in TC so we had that mutual interest as well. There were only a few churches in town so we saw each other at church on Sundays too. It's so different now. Our kids make friends and then they move off because of a job transfer or something as simple as just wanting a bigger house in another neighborhood. Our kids just don't have the stability that we had during those days. I guess that's why it upsets me so much.

Oh well, I want to post pictures for those people that were there. We missed you if you weren't! Maybe we'll have a better turn out at our 40th Reunion- YIKES! Here are some of my friends from high school: Jennifer, Elisa and Cristina.

Here are the classmates that came to the reunion.
More of the same...
Me and my honey....my favorite part!

No comments: