Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Our trek to San Antonio

The kids are getting restless just hanging around the house now. They are arguing more and beginning to get on each others nerves- it takes lots of interference from Jerrod and I. I really think they are ready to go back to school!! Until then, we are keeping busy with all sorts of things.
We knew that today we had to get everyone out the house and make some plans somewhere. We decided to go to Natural Bridge Caverns in San Antonio. We were reluctant about taking Teague, but our neighbors let us borrow a back pack carrier to walk with him in the caves. I worked. He really enjoyed it and was a real sport. The girls and Jackson thought the caves were pretty cool and Jackson kept thinking that it was where the Indiana Jones movie- Temple of Doom- was filmed. We all just agreed and let him think what he wanted...
Afterwards, we tried to go to the Alamo for a tour, but it was closed already so we went to the Riverwalk to take in the sights. We decided to get on the tour boat on the river so that the kids could see everything. Our plan was foiled when it started to rain on us- the kids actually thought that was pretty cool too.
The beginning of our boat tour... and then the rain came! As I remember this day, I remember the good times we had, but I will forever remember one event particularly. We stopped at a gas station in Bulvedere to get gas called "Big Tex". It was a miniature Buc-ee's of sorts. I went in while Jerrod was pumping the gas because we needed some cash. I went and picked up a few diet dr. pepper's and a vitamin water and went to the register to pay with hopes that I could get cash for over the amount of the purchases.
My cashier was so sweet but nearly scared me to death. She had no teeth...none, zippo, nada and I don't think she cared. She just S-M-I-L-E-D the entire time and was overly happy. It startled me. I just didn't expect that.
Then, it happened. I noticed a gentlemen behind her holding a mop (he clearly worked their too) and he was cutting up with several guys in the store. He caught my attention because he was picking his nose with his other hand. No, not trying to clear some dirt....not trying to wipe away or itch it inconspicuously. I continued to watch him because all I could think about was a young child. He was totally picking his nose- like a 2 year old would. His finger was entirely up his nose and he was really digging- for something good, I suppose. I couldn't believe my eyes.
Wait. It gets better. I went to the bathroom after I paid and I saw the gentleman digging for gold in his nose. The kids needed me in there (plus I needed something to distract me from staring) so I got them out of the bathroom and headed to the car. That's when I saw "goldie" cleaning the soda fountain machine with his bare hands. I loved my bottled DP. Enough said.
We used to drive back and forth to Amarillo when we had fewer kids and I have many a tales from those trips. I will definitely add this one to my repertoire of disgusting gas station stories.

1 comment:

Swan Family said...

We heard those caverns were awesome. What a great trip! Now I really want to go!!!