Thursday, April 09, 2009

GOOD wine and a GOOD laugh

I am hosting Easter this year at our house for my mom's side of the family. I know they like wine (don't most people?) and I haven't a clue about what makes a GOOD wine...I know, it's crazy, but I have been busy the last say....10 years. No excuses, right??! Well, anyway I needed to know of some good wines to share and I didn't want it to be blatantly obvious that I didn't know what I was doing when they got here so I called on the troops- my wine drinking peeps.

I have heard these girls at one time or another discuss GOOD wine and all the fun they have with friends drinking wine and sometimes even eating cheese...aged cheese. Yucko, I know...crazy again.


Here's the email I sent out:


Hi Ladies,
I am hosting Easter at our house this Sunday and want your help!! I need recommendations for GOOD wine- red and white. Any suggestions you have would be appreciated!!!

Claire


Here's what I got in return:


Sylvia, my early morning work out buddy, was first:


Hands down - Cakebread Cabernet (If you can find it). Scott & I also LOVE Rombauer Cab. We buy Rombauer at Crown Discount Liquor next to HEB, but haven’t been able to get the Cakebread since December. It is almost impossible to get. Perry’s and Pappas sell both if you want a taste test! But I am ALWAYS up for more suggestions!



My blogging friend, Jennifer, said this:


I love this white. Fruity and not too dry-- http://www.nobilo.co.nz/ and it’s on the cheaper side.

As for reds, ah….there are so many. Favorite for us is obviously Justin. Just had their Syrah—fantastic, but hard to come by—try Houston Wine Merchant. Also, most Specs sells their Cab Sav. It’s good too. They have a great Chardonnay if you like that flavor too.

Ravenswood Reserve Zinfandel is a good standby.

Cakebread is really good, but more expensive.

I have to go down the aisle and see what I’ve had to help me remember. Maybe that helps a little.


Karen, who must have been a model in her former life , said:


La Crema is a great brand for Chardonnay


Debbie, my total go to girl, says:

I like Sterling Merlot.


Traci, my HS friend that I only (unfortunately) see when GOOD wine is around, said:


Hi Claire I drink Menage a Trois (I know crazy name) all of the time....it's a California Red and tastes great. It's also very inexpensive so by good if you mean expensive, this wine might not be for you. It's about $10 a bottle but you would never know! Have a happy Easter Traci


Ginger, who I THINK knows it all, shoots it straight and says this:


I wish I could help but we drink the cheap stuff...10 bucks or less. I have some good reds I like that are under ten though!!!



This is where I realize that I didn't make myself clear. I went back and looked at the email and I made it look like I wanted only GOOD wine and what I meant to say was GOOD tasting wine. I replied to Ginger with this:


I guess I should have been more clear- I meant GOOD tasting- I think everyone thought I meant expensive!! Give me the names of the cheap stuff...please.

Claire


Ginger follows with:


Ok, I can help you with that!
Dynamite Merlot, 2005 and Jacob's Creek Shiraz/Cabernet mix Those are our favorite Red wines.
ginger



So I head to the grocery store with all the recommendations from my GOOD wine drinking friends. I looked like a bumbling idiot, a total amateur, a newbie and all the above. I had out my iPhone and was reviewing my emails from these dear friends. I must have spent 15 minutes on every aisle and there were three to go through. It was mind blowing... I mean, go back and look at those emails: shiraz? cakebread? dynamite merlot? Justin and Syrah? Seriously? You have to be kidding me. And Traci's recommendation? Enough said!



I was certain that I had D*U*M*B*O written right across my forehead until a man walked up and asked me if I had found a "dry sherry cooking wine". I couldn't believe it so I started to smirk and asked him if that was a joke. A joke it was not. He was serious and I was seriously stunned. He said he needed it for a recipe.


I immediately felt (a little) better and led him proudly to the "dry sherry" aisle where all the cooking wine was.


It's amazing to me that I was able to find 4 GOOD wines...and a good laugh too.
Thank you ladies for all your help- I couldn't have done it without you!! I'll let you know how things go on Sunday! Happy Easter!!


2 comments:

Karen said...

Cantina Zaccagnini - dry red wine
$13 at Sam's. I don't like red wine very much at all, but I did like this enough to buy some... did anyone suggest Strawberry Hill???? When I was about 25 I thought it was the best stuff I had ever tasted!!!

Swan Family said...

Great input!